University of Cambridge (2011)
See also Environmental and Energy Security on the Global Security page
- Energy and Economic Growth
- Energy, International Relations and Security
- US International Energy Security Policy
- New US Middle East Policy and Persian Gulf Oil
- Gas Security in Britain and Europe
- EU Energy Security Policy: Natural Gas
- The EU and Russian Gas
- Measuring Gas-supply Security
- Revolution in European Gas?
- China’s Energy Security Policy and US Response
- China and Middle East Energy
1. Energy and Economic Growth
Lecture 1 Presentation
2. Energy, International Relations and Security
Lecture 2 Presentation
3. US International Energy Security Policy
Lecture 3 Presentation
4. New US Middle East Policy and Persian Gulf Oil
Lecture 4 Presentation
5. Gas Security in Britain and Europe
Lecture 5 Presentation
6. EU Energy Security: Natural Gas
Lecture 6 Presentation
Nöel, Pierre (2008) A Strategic Energy Policy for Europe
Nöel, Pierre (2010) EU Gas Security Regulation
7. The EU and Russian Gas
Lecture 7 Presentation
Nöel, Pierre (2009) EU Gas Security after the Crisis
Nöel, Pierre (2007) The EU-Russia Natural Gas Relationship: Challenges and Policy Responses
8. Measuring Gas-supply Security
Lecture 8 Presentation
9. Revolution in European Gas?
Lecture 9 Presentation
10. China’s Energy Security Policy and US Response
Lecture 10 Presentation
Nöel, Pierre (2007) China’s Rise, Energy and International Security
11. China and Middle East Energy
Lecture 11 Presentation
- How effective has OPEC been in advancing the interests of its members?
- Is the concept of the ‘oil curse’ a valid explanation for economic failure and bad governance, or is it an excuse?
- How did early nationalizations affect the international oil market?
- In many of the Sunni-dominated oil producing states, Shia populations occupy the main oil-producing areas. What consequences has this had for, a) oil production; and b) security?
- Has the US realized its post-2nd World War energy security objectives in the Persian Gulf?
- Discuss the role of politics in pipelines routing and protection, and how this impacts the security of transit states both short and long term.
- How does the LNG market differ from the oil market, and what implications does this have for security and supply?
- How does producer state identity impact the issue of energy security?
- Is the concept of peak oil valid, and what is its significance?
- How would you characterise the link between energy imports, energy security, and US foreign policy
- Is energy security fuelling US-China rivalry?